MARIE'S HIGH - CHAPTER ONE

THE BIG SURPRISE ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ‼️

When grandma told me we were moving to our new home, I least expected it to be a mansion because she wasn't the extravagant type. Besides, we weren't that rich. "This is for you, Nifemi", she said while showing off her white set of teeth which I envied so much.


" Thank you, ma'am", I replied her with a brief side hug.


"Please, I need your help here. I have a meeting with a client soon", the Auber driver that brought us to our new home complained. He was actually her late best friend's son.


" Okay ", she told him and I helped him move our luggage inside as he took them out of the boot of his black sedan car.




























After uncle B left for his meeting, grandma showed me the nooks and crannies of our new home. Despite being someone that was hard to please, I was impressed with what I saw especially in my bedroom. A silky foot mat was placed on the creamy tiled floor with a well-polished closet opposite a full-length mirror. My white vanity table had a stool beside it, unlike the brown bedside table holding a lamp and clock radio. Three cute big Teddy bears also sat on my king size bed, covered with white sheets. I was very happy with everything I saw yet I still felt bad for getting angry at grandma who gave my old teddy bears to poor kids. She thought I against charity but that's not true. I believed one shouldn't be forced to do it. I felt it brings great rewards and benefits to both sides when it's done whole heatedly.























Yet in life, we have to make some sacrifices to get things we want and those we didn't expect. If I had known grandma had this surprise for me, I would have wholeheartedly given out those bears. Moreover, I didn't expect her to know my taste since we didn't have an intimate relationship. Grandma became responsible for my upkeep after my parents passed away. They were very much in love that one couldn't live without the other. Grandma worked for the ministry of health as a photographer before her retirement and traveled frequently so we barely saw each other. It was so bad that I can't remember the last time we hardly had meals or long conversations.






























"What would you like for our first dinner here?" She asked as I entered the kitchen to have a glass of water.

"I'm not hungry", I said, hurting her feelings but that wasn't intentional. Eating junks for dinner was my daily routine and I wasn't ready to change that since I wasn't fat and people used to tell me I had a high tendency of staying that way till I die.

"It's okay', she forced a smile on her lips. As I returned to my bedroom on the second floor, she continued, "I want us to watch an interesting movie"

"I'm sorry, grandma. It's my study time", she nodded and watched me climb the stairs with an S curved railings.




































With my pajamas on, I opened my backpack to bring out a book titled 'Faceless', and written by Amma Darko. During summer coaching when my previous literature teacher told us about the book, I tried imaging an individual without a face. While reading, I ate doughnuts with a cold bottle of Pepsi and retired for the night.































Grandma's cooking aroma woke my nostril nerves the following day. Stylishly, I went to the kitchen to find out what she was cooking since I couldn't bring myself to ask her directly. I made her believe my reason for going in there was to take some fruits.


















We were the only ones in the house so I was surprised to see Aunt Simi sitting beside the breakfast bar while sipping a hot cup of coffee, and making the description of a runway model as her fiancรฉ to grandma who seemed uninterested. I could remember the last time I saw her vividly. It was my primary school graduation and grandma was on a business trip so she had to bribe her to stand in. That was three years ago but her look didn't change one bit. Her hair was still long and black. Also, her white skin still remained untamed. At times, I wondered who she got those traits from because my grandparents and a few family members I've met don't have them.
































"Oh God! Look at those glossy curls!" She exclaimed, staring at my short hair.


"How have you been Aunt?" I asked her.


"Fine, dear. My wedding's coming up soon and I want you to be my best Lady" she replied excitedly.

Best lady!!!! Why on earth would she want me to be that?


"Then what am I gonna be mum? Your flower girl?" A tall dark girl with twisted braids made with Brazilian wool came into the kitchen. Since that was my first time seeing her, I wouldn't have known she was my niece if she didn't call my aunt, "Mum".


"It will be nice if you become the first oldest flower girl in history ", Aunt Simi laughed


"Bola, let's set the table for breakfast ", grandma told my niece then turned to me, "Nifemi, go and call your siblings who're playing outside".




































I wanted to ask her which siblings but I kept quiet because I didn't want it to seem like I was insulting her. As far as I knew, my parents didn't have any child except me before their death, besides Aunt Simi's extraordinarily flat tummy made it hard to believe she has a kid so I didn't think she could have more but I was wrong.































"Big sis, you're awake!" Gbemi cuddled me. Her name and that of her two other brothers were printed with white ink on the navy blue polo they were putting on so so it saved me the trouble of asking them. The two boys ignored me because they were engrossed in playing with Scott, our new Jaman Shepherd dog.


"Grandma wants you to come in for breakfast", I announced but still didn't get any response from the boys. They treated me like a barking dog.


"Big sis, let's leave them alone. Only mum knows how to handle them" she held my right hand and we moved in.
















Grandma made boiled rice with chicken stew for breakfast. Ignoring the stress she put into preparing the delicious meal, I ate three spoonfuls with small chunks of chicken. At first, Gbemi scolded her mom for not eating to her satisfaction because she was watching her weight but I was surprised to see her finish the food in her floral designed plate and took more. I couldn't figure out the reason why she needed to lose some weight though.
















"Don't you like the food?" Grandma checked the food as if she was hoping to see something as terrible as a dead housefly inside it, so I at least have a reasonable excuse for not eating again but I didn't care.


"No, ma. I'm already filled up. Thanks for the meal", I grinned but she still didn't look satisfied.


"Can I have yours?" Tominwa sucked the marrow from his chicken bones as if he's never eaten it before.


"Sure", I acted like a big sis.


"I'm very happy, mom. We should do this often and invite my fiance to join us since he's gonna be a part of the fa...." She choked and I quickly poured her a glass of water.


"That happens when you talk too much. What do you want the kids to learn from you?" Grandma howled at her and made me wonder if I was part of the 'kids' she was referring to.

















I didn't need anyone to tell me she wasn't in support of the wedding yet Aunt simi wasn't willing to bend to her will. It was hard for me to choose which side to take because I hated second marriages but I didn't want to judge a relation of mine for making a decision that made her happy. Grandma once told me to follow my aunt and dad's footsteps who had happy marriages. Now, I'm beginning to think it was a lie so I need to find out the truth. Maybe it's time to face reality after all I'm not a little girl who needs fairy tales to be happy anymore.
























"Excuse me", I stood up to leave the dining room.


"Let's make a toast before you leave", Aunt Simi poured some orange juice into each of our glass cups.


"To our family and my upcoming wedding", she said and we clinked our glasses peacefully because Grandma chose to ignore her last word.



























After the toast, I went to my bedroom to have my siesta but the chattering voices of my new siblings prevented me from doing that early enough. My only wish was to see them gone before I wake up.














A gentle evening breeze was the main reason why I finally opened my eyes a few hours later to have my bath and changed into my mickey mouse outfit. Then, I decided to take some banana and coconut milk smoothie from the fancy fridge near our dining table. While passing by the master's bedroom to go downstairs, I heard some noise. The sayer's voice wasn't audible but I knew it was grandma. Her door was ajar, so I could clearly see Aunt simi kneeling down and crying like a baby whose candy was snatched. A few seconds later, she was already standing upright beside me  looking bright as though nothing happened.




She sure had a master's degree in hiding feelings!
























"I thought I won't be able to see you before leaving", she hugged me and whispered some words in my ear, "Don't forget our agreement. I'm leaving the kids in your care".


"I wish you a safe trip", I told her.



























Gbemi's whinnying prevented me from studying well because I was used to a quiet and peaceful environment. As her mom's bestie, all efforts made to calm her nerves were futile. Others didn't give a damn about what she was doing but it really affected me. They were acting as if everything's normal and grandma also didn't deem it fit to send her back to her mom. I assumed Grandma held the kids down to punish her but wasn't sure that was enough to make her change her mind.


"Your mum should be in bed, now" uncle B slammed the silver door in the living room behind him when he returned from Aunt Simi's home. He offered to drive her there under the pretext that "a beautiful lady deserves nothing that a sweet ride in a private car, not running after public buses".


"Be careful, uncle B. Mum's engaged ", Bola teased him.


"Thanks for reminding me", he laughed.































The following morning, my annoying alarm clock rang for the fifth time then I stretched my right hand lazily to turn it off. Anxiety denied me sleep until 5 am. Like I do every other school day, I folded my bedsheets quickly and dashed to the bathroom, where I gave in to a cold bath. Afterward, I towel dried my dark skin and applied some pure shodam coconut oil on it. Inside my closet, Marie's high school uniform (a blue pleated knee-high skirt, short sleeve pink shirt, and long tie with the school's badge) was hanging neatly till I removed it.



























Marie's high was one of the best schools in my country. They had high moral standards, and their admission questions made even an upcoming genius like me sweat in the examination hall that had several air conditioners yet I eventually got admission into the school. Grandma was happy because she heard some kids whose parents were even richer than we weren't admitted. Well, she was the one who came up with the idea of transferring to the school. Leaving my previous school wasn't my plan but Nifemi was in no position to question an order even though if was given as a suggestion.


























"Ekaro ma(Good morning, ma)", I greeted her with my knees on the tiled floor of the living room, as she taught me. Grandma was always proud to see me act like a typical Yoruba girl.


"Karoo omo mi. She dada loji?(Good morning, my child. Did you sleep well)" She replied


"Beni ma(Yes, ma'am)" I rose to my feet.


"Your uncle's washing his car in the garage. He's taking you to school and wants you to be ready before he returns", she helped Segun knot his tie.


"Yes, grandma ", I poured some hot coffee from a coffee machine into my favorite mug with and added a few cubes of sugar. Uncle B returned as soon as I finished washing my utensils.























Everything that happened: the new money, mansion, car, school, and siblings felt like a dream come true within the twinkle of an eye. Nobody hates comfort but it's won't come without a price. Even the blessings from God requires one to face temptations, face ordeals, and make sacrifices. I was required to deal with the four little rats seated close to me on our way to Marie's high in Uncle B's car and deal with the segregation of students in my new school due to social class.

























The morning sun produces vitamin D yet there's no one on earth who'll choose trekking over a ride in a fully air-conditioned car. I shed tears of joy when I remembered the days I used to trek to school. Lots of happy memories flashed back to my mind especially those with my junior high school crush.


" Welcome to Marie's high school, kids ", Uncle B smiled when we finally arrived at the school gate.














































Author's Note:

Hello, guys. This is my first story I'll be publishing on Wattpad so I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please do not hesitate to write something in the comment section or share it with the other teen fiction lovers you know. Thanks in advance๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Apologies for any grammatical error you came across while reading this chapter.


Yours teenfictionly,
Eniola Oluwamuyiwa



Comments

  1. Wow...interesting keep it up dear...more wisdom ..can't just wait to read the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Uncle B?
    New names keep popping up without explanation.
    Aside these,that was a nice story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Externals Reloaded - Chapter One

The Externals Reloaded - Chapter Six

The Externals - Chapter Eleven